Thursday, May 10, 2012

I'm going to use the 4 letter "F" word....full

 
One of the things I really wanted to do was to go to the Savoy...sit in the American Bar and have a cocktail. Well I haven't gotten to do that yet, but some of the girls and I spent this afternoon eating our way through their Afternoon Tea. To be honest, I must mention that I did order the gluten free tea, which was NOT the best food I've had. I eat gluten free all the time, and honestly I found better up on our High Street. But it's not really about the food, is it? It's about going the historical, lovely old landmark and sharing in the experience of doing this time honored British tradition. At least that's why I went.


The tea room, as well as the whole hotel was stunning. One of the girls remarked that it was like "being on the Titanic". I think she meant the decor, not the fact it might be a shipwreck... The whole process took just over 2.5 hours, which is much appreciated since there was SO MUCH food. First you pick you tea flavor. Then they begin the parade of scones, sandwiches, clotted cream, jam and lemon curd. Once you have polished off that, the next silver tray with  pastries appears. Mmmmm, raspberry macaroons, chocolate tarts, merangues, chocolate dipped strawberries. Oh, must I go on???




There was also the music and the attentive service. Our Canadian waiter Richard was attentive to the point of playing "mum" and pouring each of our teas. Well, I was crass and asked for my pot to be brought to the table so I could refill as I needed. I drink  pretty quickly, and can't have him loitering over us just to refill my cup...
So now that I've had this experience, I might have to check out the Ritz!!


Tried to hit the American Bar and museum afterwards, but a private party prevented me. SO you all need to remind me to get back there to suck up their signature cocktail --- the White Lady.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, you made it to the Savoy! Congrats. My mouth is watering looking at that cuppa and the eats. Was our little tea in Bath just as good as far as taste? Mmmm, wouldn't I love that right about now - 2:25 in the afternoon here at work! Better yet, not here at work, but in a lovely tea room with piano playing. :-)

    Cheers ~ Big Sis

    ReplyDelete