Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Squeeky clean in Bath

Ah Bath. While I love a good "tubby", I'm talking about the city of Bath. It really is, and has been one of my favorite places in all the world. There is something about the local Bath stone, with it's warm honey hue, mixed with the Federal (what us Americans call it)  architecture that makes it so pleasing and calming to the eye. It's not for everyone. I normally don't like cookie cutter repetition, but somehow it works perfectly here.


Plus add the bonus of the last weekend of the Christmas Market in the Abbey square. so nice. We took the train from Paddington Station last Friday and presto, an hour and a half later we were there. Nice! Of course we arrived after it was dark - seeing it's dark now around 4pm....So we just wandered around a bit. The city at night is even glorious with it's lights and Georgian appeal.




Saturday was filled with doing tourist sights. Yes, I got Hubby to go to No 1 Royal Crescent. He claims he enjoyed it. I think that's cause it was small and quick to get through. The hotel had a book on the city's architecture and I had spent the evening reading up. I feel like a pro now and could give a tour. We by-past the Fashion Museum in the basement of the Assembly Rooms. I had been there before. It is honestly the best costume museum I've ever seen. Amazing. But I knew that would be too much for Honey Bun. So we strolled up and down streets and alleys being in awe of the views, the people and the overall beauty of the place, I was looking forward to seeing all the antiques shops Ive heard about at Bath. We saw 2.....Apparently the market has dried up. What a shame. The one we do go into had amazing Federal and Georgian pieces. It is thrilling for me to touch something that was made, used and loved over 200 years ago. But I'm odd. You all know that.
 After looking at most of the sites ( we had to save something for Sunday) we found a Spanish restaurant and had tapas. Not too bad. I did find them lacking in vegetables. I was hankering for something green. Brits somehow think potatoes count as a veg. No, it's a starch. Bring on the frilly greens.

Then off to the Christmas Market for shopping, if need be. There were mostly vendors from the countryside, not from Germany as some have. but the wares were still good to enjoy.


Sunday brought a possibly drizzly day. but after the too last clean sunny days, that would be fine. we checked out, stowed our bags and  had 6 hrs to kill. so, more wandering, eating and even found a local Rugby game to watch from over the fence. We also had time to explore the New baths, which we've decided to come back for a day trip and enjoy the thermo spas, which still pump heated waters to the town. Of course its a modern facility, but I will be able to put aside that fact, as I float in the warm waters of the rooftop exterior pool. I dragged Hubby into the Pump Room for a cup of tea 9 And coffee for him) while we enjoyed some piano music and a newspaper. Besides we had time to kill off.  More roaming took us to a pleasant surprize - a Mexican burrito shop. Yum!  Normally we pass up places like this. But the hankering for greens and fiber drew us in. We were not disappointed. Of course one must walk teh River Avon while in Bath. It's a lovely stroll. I didi not do this last time and I'm glad we bothered to take the time.

As all things must comet to an end, this one did too. We have great photos, fond memories and a few mementos of our trip. Hopefully we can venture back before it's time to leave Jolly Olde England.

2 comments:

  1. OK, put this on the list of places to take me when I visit. I know you love this place and are now qualified to give me the royal tour. Let's do it!

    CB

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are not odd....or....I am odd too. I love old antique things too....they have rich history. I loved going into that church that was built int the 1100's...what you feel is almost unable to describe!

    ReplyDelete