Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Another Grand Day out.......

Since today nothing was on "the books", I thought I'd do some exploring before the "girl's" come over. I hopped on the number 9 bus toward Trafalgar Square and after tootling down Piccadilly, I arrived. Well heck, since I'm here, I might as well pop into the National Portrait Gallery. After all, it's free, as are most museums in London. I figured I look around a bit, while over an hour later I decided it was time to head out. Did I see everything? No. But I can always come back soon.


The square was full of people, now that the pigeons are gone. Kind of sad really. I still have the photo from years ago - me covered in pigeons. The official Olympic count down clock is there currently, telling everyone just how long till things really get crazy. Piccadilly Circus is scaffold-ed as much of the city is- getting ready for the influx of people from all over the planet.


I had thought about going north to Camden Town, since I was half the way there. Having previously looked up the bus number, I found the stop for the #29 around the square. Hopping on, I now know that "bendy" buses let people on at any door. Good to know. There are the oyster card readers throughout so you can scan your trip.
Just yesterday Dan had mentioned not trying to skive on the buses. Yeah, like I would! I was a good girl and did scan my card. About a mile down the road, at the next stop, the doors opened and the ride monitors hopped on, not letting anyone get off before they could check their cards. They caught quite a few people skiving. Hee Hee I had to laugh. Really, you couldn't spend £1.60 to rider? Well now you have a £50 fine. Another fine mess.....
I got off at Camden Town since big sis recommended it. It was ok. I expected more craziness and mod-ness, but I'm sure if I spent more time I could have found it. Roamed up the street and found Camden Market, an open air stall market. I may have to take some of you there for the shopping experience. Think, TJ but with English speaking vendors who are hawking mostly inexpensive mod clothing.


Well the time was getting away and since I left no note at home for hubby, I figured I'd tube it back. Wow, one gets around quickly by tube, but the view really sucks!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Heidi-ho, Yup, sounds like Camden Market has gone downhill a bit. It used to be a weekend only market with really cool '80s treasures. I remember great jewelry for some reason. :-) Glad you got to check it out and know how to get there. Camden Town itself was a dive.

    Cheers,
    Big Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did they do with all the pigeons? Is that where they filmed the old lady in Mary Poppins feeding the pigeons "feed the birds....tuppins a bag"?

    ReplyDelete