Sunday, October 16, 2011

Little America....

It's really hard to write this. Not that anything has happened, rather I have my first head cold of the season. I just need to state this here and now, cause I'm not sure I'm thinking clearly and there'd is no telling what this will turn out like...the cold came on rather suddenly two days ago after I cleaned the house. So I naturally assumed I breathed too many fumes - plus they are scrapping paint next door. Surely my sore throat must be due to that. But by nightfall, it was obvious. Mr Healthy began to sniff and snort too. So when we got up the next morning, we both looked like death warmed up.
But no rest for the wicked. We had plans!! We had bought train tickets, and by gum we're heading north to RAF Lkenheath, to visit Little America! Ok. What this really means is the American air force has a base there and thus a commissary and exchange. When we were here last time, it was a three hour drive there, so we only went once. I remember it being a Mecca of Americanism. But this time, it seemed smaller and less grand. I guess I'm just not adjusted yet, or since therre is so much American stuff in London, the withdrawals are not as bad. (seriously, I think I can get anything at our local huge Whole Foods)
The other American on course has his family up at Lakenehath. This gave us a nice place to stay. Our goal was to get up by train, shop the exchange and commissary, load up on Thanksgiving supplies and head back. I had made a list of items to look out for. The exchange yielded only three of the ten things I wanted. No loss though. Do I really need half this stuff??.
Commissary worked out well. We knew we had to keep it to a minimum. After all, we're hauling this back the two hours via train. The only tricky part was it took us a good 20 minutes to locate the cranberry sauce. But we prevailed and now are fully ready for the big day in November. We'll get a turkey breast locally, as it needs to be small enough to fit into out counter top oven.
We're now jammied up and cooking a pot roast in the pressure cooker. Mmmmm, Sunday roast. Click on the Telly, eat some meat and two veg. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment