Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Brilliant...awesome...amazing....

OK, I'm talking about architecture here. Yup...buildings. Or rather the style or design of them. I had no idea Glasgow had such diverse architecture. Not just old stuff either, but more modern feel. And they seem to want to keep a good balance.
Glaswigans are great people. I was told this before I came. But to be here and experience it. They are very friendly, if you have questions they get to it. In fact,I had a run in with one too friendly. The local chippie said they didnt do the small size fish supper listed on the board. So I asked for just chips. "Salt and vinegar?". "yes" was my response after I figured out what he'd said. Paid and got my order to go. Outside I noticed there was a giant fried fish atop my chips. So I went back in because I thought perhaps I got the wrong order. He had to explain he gave me a free fish atop a "few" chips - right in front of the manager. I really hope he didnt get into trouble. It was a very kind thing to do really. Blessings to him.
My self made tour was fabulous. I discover Mackintosh 15 yrs ago when we lived here. Turns out, he's one of those artisans who never reached huge popularity in his day. And it wasnt till about 40 yrs ago he hit the big time here. I think of him more as an artist, but he was really an architect. He took the holistic approach, so he not only designed buildings, but also the fittings, furniture, lamps and even textiles used in them. He was married to Margaret MacDonald, who was a graphic artist. She helped him in his creative genus and togeer they were an amazing pair. He said " my wife is a genius. I have some talent".
I toured the Glasgow School of Art, still in use today. The Scotland Street School which he designed is now a museum and no longer a school. I'm hoping to hit the Willow Tea Rooms tomorrow, as well as the church he designed. The University of Glasgow has recreated one of his homes using the original furnishings. Since they had no children, it was dedsigned in white (walls, furniture, carpet) back in....1906. He was working in what they said was Art Nouveau, but it leads heavily toward Art Deco. He, I feel, was more into the arts and crafts movement, combining visual space with natural influences. Many of his chairs had the problem of 'form over function'. They would fall over being top heavy, or break due to incorrect engineering. But they are gorgeous to look at!
Pictures to follow

1 comment:

  1. Too right! Glaswegians are amazingly friendly people. I visited there 30+ years ago and found them to be the best hosts anywhere.

    Can't wait for those photos!!!

    Big Sis

    ReplyDelete