Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Giddy in Glasgow.....

I'm in Scotland!! Yeah. One of my favorite places. When we were here before, we took some trips up heree and I fell in love. The one thing I never did though, was to go to Glasgow, home of Charles Rennie Macintosh. Who's he? He one of the world's leading Arts and Crafts movement artisans, but little known outside of the UK. While a contempary of Morris, Wright and Greene, his work resonates with my tastes more. I am taking photos, but until thenlaptop returns from Northern Ireland, I cant post. Yup. Hubby is away, so I get to play!! (I have to inject here that a few fellow students of hubby's remarked how odd it was that I would go off alone to travel.....) Anywho. Here I sit in my single room at the Victorian B&B on Renfrew St. Turns out this is the hub of Macintosh-ism. Wile henlived and worked here in Glasgow, many of his landmark buildings are right around the corner. Or in the case of the Glasgow Art School, it's right across the street.
I want to interject here that I did get to eat at Gordon ramsey's Plane Food in terminal 5 at Heathrow. Nice food, nice view, good service. Hd the crispy duck salad, with ginger chili. Yum.
So tomorrow is my big day. I bought the Mackintosh Trail ticket, which gets me into all open venues and an all day bus/subway pass. Woo hoo. Watch out Glasgow. Here I come.
Now, to find a small dinner....

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of Mackintosh! How awesome and truly inspiring your tour of his work will be! Get a poster from the Glasgow Art School to remember it by.

    Imagine - traveling on your own. And a woman yet? How absolutely American is that concept? You might try Mt. Everest next! Or at least go to a pub on your own. Tee hee.

    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete