Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I've become a Bag Lady....

If you know me well, you know I've never been a fan of large handbags. Perhaps this stems from the fact that there are hoarders in my family (not me. If anything, I throw away things with a flair of OCD.) But the fact remains, I don't want to lug a huge, heavy satchel around.
Life here in SIN (the airport code for Singapore) does mandate a large carry`all. So I'm going to document, thus validating, my recent switch.
Fundamentally, I refuse to buy all new handbag because I know I will revert back to my old ways once I hit the Homeland. So I'm using what I already own, Let's have a peek....

Blurred for my protection. You won't know me on the street.


Here is a sampling of the vital elements of the current handbag. As you can see, we have a folded fabric tote, needed for all those unexpected purchases while out and about. I hate plastic bags (they DO cut your hands when heavy) and this little number folds tight for easy portability. Thank you Robin C.
Then there are the sometimes required sunglasses. Never know when those clouds will pull back revealing that UV 13 sun glare. These little light Ang Mo eyes need some protection.
Wallet, smaller so it can fit in the bag, holds all the monopoly money, credit cards, Refresh account card and ever important MRT travel card. It's my way to get around, like the Oyster card in London or Clam card in  Boston.
Do I need to explain the brolly?






My mystery bag hold even more vitals!!! A small package of tissue is used for choping at hawker stalls. This is when you pop down an item at a seat to reserve it, then wander off to find your food and drink. Oddly, people respect a reserved spot. Just done be an idiot and leave a iphone of similar. It won't be there when you come back. SIN is low crime not NO crime.
Hair comb, and hair restraints required for those oh-so-muggy days when hair has to go up. These are quite often so I travel with them. There is bug spray, hand sanitizer (after long MRT ride), lotion, tylenol  (for when you've had too much - heat, no water, alcohol), and eyeliner, cause I have no idea where my make up goes. But it sure isn't on my face after some time.
And lastly, but Oh-So-Important, the portable cooling system. Yup, a hankie and fan are very necessary here. Some days the air just doesn't move, so you have to move it. A friend from London had given me two Liberty hankies which have turned into one of my most valuable items. Not only are they gorgeous, but extremely absorbent. So thank you Carol!
Now you know what a seasoned Singaporean woman has lurking in that handbag. You can sleep well tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, ha... Who, but you, would think of this clever idea of documenting everything in her handbag. Too much time on your hands, you've too much time on your hands... Sing this to that old 1980s tune!

    Very cute, love it!

    Big Sis

    ReplyDelete