Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Working for the weekend...

This month is a "happening" month. Seems like ever weekend we have something, or somewhere to go. Not bad. Beats the hum-drum of the other dull months. This past weekend was our 27th Anniversary (still trying to get my head around that!!), and Hubby decided to take me to Phuket Thailand, a place he had said  years (ok decades) back that he wanted to take me. So he planned and arranged, and last Friday we jetted off. It's only an 1.5 hr trip from here, so much easier than from back in the States.

One of many Thai/Malay islands

drop me anywhere here

can I get on one of those boats??

We stayed at the Amari Coral Beach on the south coast of Patong Bay. It is not in the midst of the craziness of Patong, but a short 7 minute walk to the main beach/shopping area.
Our room was lovely, as all the resort was. Very few kids, so the pool was usable and quiet. It was along the bay and had a jetty on the west end of the resort,  accessible by a small path. the jetty hosted a bar with nibbles, had staff, towel service, loungers, umbrellas and a ladder into the water. The water was crystal clear, so we knew we had to get in and "peek".

a welcome cleaning

fruit in the room, so good, but not sure the names




ready to jump in. Can you see the submerged rocks?

resort jetty

hanging bugs along the path....

the path

idea for water feature later

along the pool, looking out onto the bay

Food was good too. While not an all inclusive, the food and drinks were reasonably priced ( drinks were a bit "loaded" as well).

breakfast buffet



But visiting a different country is about staying full time at the resort ( well, sometimes it is!!). But I wanted to see the town. I've heard so much about Phuket over the years from sailors who stop here, and Patong is renown for it's hedonistic area. Now let me say right now, I had no interest in partaking of any of that.
 1. other than to people watch, there is no appeal. But I do get fascinated on the types who do participate.      guess too many years in the theater.
 2. I'm too old
 3. can't see spending money for craziness

Japanese "twin" couple, right down to their flipflops

wouldn't go at night, but I can peek during the day

I just thought this was too funny...Angry Babes

anything to get you in the door.

Patong public beach

I want to see the REAL town. So we wandered off the beaten track. That's when you see the good stuff. First off, we found the good Thai massage places. Oh yes, we enjoyed hour long massages ( thai are fully clothed thank you!) each day!! and they only cost us$8 for an hour. These were not little back scratchy things. These were full on, bend you like a pretzel. Oh so good. Forget smuggling drugs back, I would smuggle a Thai masseuse home!!
But we wandered down back streets and alleys. We saw how the locals lived and ate. Then we ate as they did. So good!!!! Couldn't tell you what we had, just pointed and they piled it onto the plate.




cute wood working

sitting at a street bar, we saw this

what it really said

Soon the weekend was over. Man, that went fast. It was time to get back onboard the AirAsia plane and head home. Just a few last shots that I thought was fun.

Baby Boy could have worked here....

I should see if there's a parachute onboard!
I've been having trouble with blogger for the last two posts, as you can see. Something is wrong with the layout and trying to get pictures posted. Forgive me. I'm having to shoot between two computers to get this done.

1 comment:

  1. And to think, I was there. What a great time it was for our 27th anniversary. So glad that it all worked. out...

    ReplyDelete