Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Lamp to light the way... Ok, maybe two lamps

Oh, the wonderful feeling when you make a purchasing coup. And today was another day for that. I'd like to thank Ben Jones for putting me onto Gumtree.co.uk (move over Craigslist) where I discovered two beautiful used lamps. Let me back up with the "why we needed lamps bit". Our reception room, which functions as a dining and living room, is a bit of a cube. As in all the rooms of the flat, it also has the ceiling only halogen lights- which means it's either full on daylight, or pitch black after sundown. So, table lamps were needed. After looking at IKEA and Argos, everything seemed too modern chrome or plasticy. While that would do for now, wouldn't it be nice to get some real "adult" furniture. So I peeked at Gumtree and low and behold, there were two beautiful brass and alabaster lamps with silk shades. Yes please!
Part of the journey in life is to do new things. What surprises me now, is how discovery and new tasks really seem to throw me. Ten years ago, I wouldn't have batted an eye, but these days sometimes it seems overwhelming. It was like this today. Jeffrey, the lamp seller, rang me up this morning after Mike had left for school. "Am I still interested in the lamps?" but of course. I can't believe he still has them, since they were posted last Wednesday. He says I'm first on the list of people who are interested. I jump at the chance. But he's out in Surrey. Where is Surrey. Quick, a map! Ok, it's close to City of London. We chat on the phone and I figure I can navigate the trains. But I have to ask where his station is. Esher. He mentions taking the trains from Waterloo Station to Esher. Great, I can do that. I can get myself to Waterloo on the tube. Just have to make sure I don't miss the train, so I can meet him at the time he's expecting me. My heart is racing for the whole tube ride, and until I'm sitting on the South West train, I'm sure I'll have a heart attack. I hate being late.
Well I get there just fine. Jeffrey is an older gentleman (complete in suit) with gray hair, dress properly British. Too cute. We chit chat a bit. He gives me the lamps history and I mentioned they will be making the trip back to Singapore, where they had them as well. The best £35 I've spent so far.



And I learned how NOT to buy train tickets (at the station)....

2 comments:

  1. Good deal! Do post a photo of these new finds.
    Enjoy your daily adventures!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are perfect 4 you, and gorgeous! Such a deal. I'll have to check out Gumtree then have you run over and fetch anything I can't live without! Tee hee.

    Sis

    ReplyDelete