Monday, August 27, 2012

First week....

So it's now been a week and I haven't melted yet. (of course no one's thrown a bucket on water on me)
Ok let's begin with the thing most impressed on me. I had gone online to research and learn about Singapore. Well it turns out 80% of thew info gleaned is incorrect. after thinking about this for awhile I figure it's because the information is solely directed to the downtown or southern region where most people go and the wealthy live. Turns out we are on the northern tip of the island about 20 miles from the downtown on the southern tip. So what's happening there doesn't necessarily reflect up here. Please understand it's a small island, but....To be specific about this, everyone says the English is the official language. But not everyone speaks it, especially up here in the "sticks".  If I walk a few blocks I come to the river that divides us from Malaysia. There are lots of languages floating around. The other night Hubby and I  went to the local shopping area and the local hawker chain. The gal did not speak English and bless the gal behind us who translated what we wanted.
Moving on...we are in the house, or should I say McMansion, now. These are old Royal Navy housing built in the 20s and 30s. They are huge! Originally they were four rooms elevated above the damp ground. But at some point they've had the lanai closed in to be a hallway, bathrooms added and then enlarges, air conditioned, kitchens added, cable installed. They are extremely lovely and I wish I could see an original one. Because of the value of land, these properties each are worth 8 million Singaporean dollars... that's around US$6.5 million to us. I do feel honored and blessed to live here/

While I will do a video later after our goods come and I've decorated, I do want to give you a taste of area we live in.

Our new place, or palace...
see the depth of the house

This video is out my back window, looking at the st, Lagos Circle and the neighbors with the amah (servant) quarters.....
And to make matters worse, or better...the kitchens and baths have just been remodeled in ultra modern ( not my fave).

remember, there are just the two or us...

dish drying rack

yes, that hose is a bidet....

Christy, this is your dream shower room...
So I've been meeting the gals in housing, went to (free) yoga this morning at the base fitness center two buildings down. Will hopefully check out the huge pool tomorrow. But right now I have the AC turned off. the windows are open and are letting in the cool breeze, after the rain storm.
This is my life for the moment. Or at least till the furniture arrives in two months. So I will get with the island vibe, and enjoy the ride.

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha Heidi, you're so right, that is my dream bathroom! Or darn close to it anyway. Wouldn't mind that kitchen either. Looks like an interesting house... just a bit on the large size for two though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more comment - bear with me. This is soooo different from your London abode! Wow, it looks so remote. Anything to do around there? Very pretty though. Must be such a different vibe and lifestyle to transition to. You can do it!

    Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete