Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Here at last....oh wait, another hotel...

We're here. We made it to London. I had my doubts. First, there was the 40 minute connection at O'Hare. Those usually don't work. But they were running 15 minutes late. Then 30 minutes late. Then 1 hr late. All in all, we took off 1.5 hrs after the scheduled departure time. I am kicking myself for not upgrading at $500 each for the business class. We could have had the seats which recline flat and better food. Actually, I don't think I needed more food, since sitting on your arse for 8 hrs really doesn't burn any calories. The flight was uneventful, which I greatly loved.
Note to those who may come and visit!!! Warning, get ready to walk. Heathrow is wheely bag friendly, but it's long. To get get to the Tube, you are hoofing it. Our only hiccup was at the Tube station Oyster Card machine. It wouldn't take our credit cards. We tried them all. But in the end, Mike came through and found a kiosk with an agent who was able to assist us.
Then onto the Tube. Stop! I must state right here that I'm a bit shocked that the Brits look so .....average American. I failed to see what I would call a typical English person. You used to be able to tell the tourists apart. No more. No crazy hair, snappy shoes, wickedly wild clothing. Wait! Where am I? We've homogenized the UK. Argh! But then, to my great relief, I saw two gals on the tube. Phew. Some traditions should not be messed with.
Once at the hotel, which is just along the south shore of the Thames at Battersea Park, we took the necessary 3 hr nap.

Our hotel is modern and yet nice. Not too sure about the different modern lights, which have blue lamination in the bath and red bulbs near the bed. What does this mean? But we were feeling anxious to see the area. So we crossed the Chelsea Bridge and wandered to Mike's school at Belgrave Square. This naturally worked up a thirst and we needed something to satisfy us. So into a local pub which we passed along the way. Mmmm, Guinness and a light ale for me. Sadly, no chips till after 6pm.
Did I mention it is warm here? I had packed cooler weather clothes for this portion of the trip. When checking the weather reports whikle packing (over a month ago) it was all rain and coolness. Upper 70s today. At least I have my shorts, and tees from the earlier part of the trip.
Well,m we've stayed up till now, 8:30pm. we're coasting till 9, when we can darken the room, pop some sleeping pills and conk out.
Yeah!.....

1 comment:

  1. So glad you guys made it! Miss ya here of course, but know you'll be havin' some good times over yonder.

    ReplyDelete