Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Just Cruising...

Being Bank Holiday Monday, I wanted to get on a bus and learn my way around. NOthing exciting really. Since the MOD housing, which was an option for us to rent, was down in Richmond, I wanted to find The Keep (name of the area) so I would know where to go for the monthly spouses coffees. Mike and I tubed down to Richmond, then found the correct bus to get us there. We passed the Ham Polo club where we may try to see a match or two next season. Well, we both were happy we chose to live in Kensington. Richmond is more "country" and green, but The Keep is ugly 1960's MOD multi story housing. Yuck.
Then I got a wild hair about bussing out to Acton - primarily to go to a 99p storee. THese are dollar stores, where things are a pound or less. I had used them many times in Portsmouth. But inner London doesn't have them. Oh no. You will pay FULL price for everything here. So I wanted to see if a bus trip is worth it. Ten pound later (mind you, we were "just looking") we emerged with some goodies.
Had a nice lunch at Morrison's cafe. Morrison's is a newer grocery chain. They seem to only have large stores, many with cafes.
The bus route took us by Notting Hill Carnival on the BIG day. Man, what a mess. People were everywhere. There were barricades and cattle lines trying to manage everyone. I am very glad we went when we did!!
We know our furniture is here in country now. Mike got an email this morning from Friday, when the customs people sent it to the knuckleheads at Lakenheath. They just hadn't bothered to forward it to us till today (Tues.) So, we need to clarify some items on the inventory sheet - such as "pot and pans". "What are these" they ask. "Bottles", "meds" "wine rack" were also stumpers for them. I know, they are just doing their jobs. It's that English/American language difference as well. Too funny. (I have to laugh, or I'll cry )

No comments:

Post a Comment